17 September 2006

The Post Where SHmonkey Muses About the Rain

An early fall rain on a Sunday afternoon in September makes the already shortening days seem dark and wintry. But the heat of the day and the sound of rumbling air conditioners tells me it’s not yet time to pull out the sweaters. I have given in on one point though and slipped into my house shoes that I only wear November through February rather than go barefoot.


The power of nature is subtle today. No wind, lightening, or rolling thunder. Just water coming down and down and down. The rain is steady and straight, filling the space between me and other objects, yet just as intangible as that space. It washes clean my path, my porch, my car, the air itself. But can it wash my soul?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need to post more often.

I remember A/C in September! And in October....

The high here today was 65, I think, and when we got to the summit of Vail Pass yesterday--it was about 38 and snowing. It is supposed to be in the 30's tonight. Summer is over, I think.

M