10 October 2008

Vote to Make a Difference

Project Blog It

I'm an idealist. I freely admit to being so. I do have faith in the American democratic process, and I proudly take part in it.

That said, I also freely admit that the American democratic process is flawed. Citizens don't vote. Large numbers of those who do vote do so blindly--in other words they pick candidates for reasons other than a thoughtful reflection on qualifications and position on the issues at hand.

I don't believe our process, or any process for that matter, can be perfect. Sure it can be better than it is now, but despite its flaws, it is a process that I embrace and take seriously. I proudly go to the polls on election day. When I vote, I actually do feel as if I am a part of something larger. I do feel civic pride and my own sense of patriotism.

I do believe that voting makes a difference, and I'm glad that voting is a legal, fundamental part of our system. But I also try to be realistic about it. It's all a matter of degree, like my comment about the American system being flawed and imperfect. Voting does make a difference, but it's usually a much smaller difference than we might hope for or expect. Politicians, especially those running for the highest offices, like to speak with soaring rhetoric about their great plans for our nation. In reality though, any plan will, almost necessarily, by subject to compromise. It's the way we all get things done, big and small. So voting, whether it be on the PTA or for President of the United States, does make a difference because we are voicing an opinion. And those opinions determine the kinds of policies and programs that we then debate, compromise on, and implement, often to only small degrees. But they still make a difference. The path to change is usually done in small steps, not larger leaps. And for me, at least for now, that's enough.


Please check the blogs listed on the right for companion pieces to this week's prompt.

Next week's prompt: Migration

No comments: